Monday, January 6, 2014

Resolves for the New Year


It's a new year.  That means planning new costumes, but also I think it's time to revise my approach to costuming.  So, these are my mantras for 2014:
  1. Nothing is ever done.  This is a very bad habit of mine.  I put my head down and power through the last few hours of a project, and then I mentally stamp the "DONE" label on it and never want to touch it again.  This generally means that things don't have enough trim, an all too common costuming fault.  So this year I am giving myself permission to put something down for a bit (maybe even wear it!),  but still continue to make it better.
  2. Iron like Rory.  Have you taken Rory Cunnningham's class on ironing at Costume College?  You really, really need to.  In fact, it's a couple of years for me, so I think I'm due for a booster.  He talks about letting fabric rest after ironing and how to deal with right angles and tight spaces.  And now I have no excuses because I got TWO pressing hams for Christmas.
  3. THINK.  Have you ever had to unpick half of your drawers because you accidentally sewed two right legs.  I don't recommend it.  For 2014, I'm stealing a motto from carpentry: measure twice, cut once.
What are you guys doing to double down on prettiness and efficiency?

1 comment:

  1. I relate to number one big time. Sometimes I have to take short cuts to finish things in time for an event, then as soon as the even is over I'm done. I just want to start the next thing. But because time creeps up on me, there is always something I need to fix, and I almost never get around to it.

    ReplyDelete